Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Technical Regression

My television consumption has dropped to dangerously low levels. My digital receiver hasn’t received its own worth yet. Once a week I may hear the voices of the Simpson’s while I am creating a culinary masterpiece. Those episodes hardly need watching though. I see them in my mind (call it telepathic projection) from knowing them so well. I suppose I use the tube for the occasional movie, but my remotes have become tasteless décor more than anything else.

I don’t think I like TV.

What?

The last few weeks I’ve had unlimited access to the world of cable. I thought I would spend the two weeks house-sitting taking advantage of the big screen in the basement and catching up on all the shows my family talks about. I spent hours on end in that house and ended up watching one episode of shark week and Ghostbusters. That’s it! How did I end up on Ghostbusters when there is this roster of series I have been ignorant to and the rest of the world privy to? Well, I love Ghostbusters, that’s part of it. Mostly, though, I don’t have the slightest idea what to do with cable! I seriously don’t know how to operate it. My cable network television knowledge tapped out in the days when you had channels 2 through 96. I don’t understand the HD channels or the OnDemand features. The guide button used to be helpful, but is now overwhelming.

Here I sit, in another cable equipped house (this time with animal hair of all varieties clinging to my black shirt) and am stumped by the telly. I mean, I accidentally watched a half an episode of Reba because I forgot how to properly channel surf.

Is this what it feels like when old people can’t adapt to new technologies? Do they all just end up watching Reba?

No comments:

Post a Comment