Monday, August 31, 2009

Following Nudity

Last night was the first time I wasn’t sure if I should post what I had just hashed out on my keyboard. I did something I had never done before … I called my sister for approval before publishing. I can only imagine how annoying I am - making her promise to tell me if my writing ever gets boring. When I told her I felt a little uneasy about what I just wrote, I could hear her eyes rolling through the receiver. I stopped her grumblings with “No, Bridget, it’s about me getting naked”. “Oh god,” she said “send it”.

I wondered if it was appropriate conversation on a public domain. I wondered if it made me look prudish and immature. More importantly, I wanted to know if the humor in the situation outweighed both of those things.

A few minutes later I get a call back from home. I am on speaker phone and I hear my sister and mother in hysterics. They are trying to tell me their thoughts but their high pitch shrieks don’t make much sense to me. After a few deep breaths they tell me they were worried when I asked their permission and feared I was going to demolish my social standing. Ha. But the laughter was all I needed to hear to post that entry. Who cares how I look if people can relate and find humor in it.

Tonight I was cooking eggs over easy for my dinner and my phone rings. It’s my aunt calling because she “Just had to thank you for the chuckle I just had”. Huh. I like that. Not just the confirmation to my ego. What I like is that I inspired a reaction. A reaction that moved someone into action. That’s awesome. Maybe I can hoan in on this ability and obtain complete mind control.

No comments:

Post a Comment