Sunday, August 30, 2009

Drawer Dropping



Kamie went on to say really nice things about how beautiful nudity is. But within all that fluffy, hippie talk she adds:

“The heavy women looked really beautiful because their folds are really nice.”

Their folds? I don’t want anyone looking at my ‘folds’. I can buy the fluff. The warm, fuzzy talk about natural phenomenon, organic feelings and infinite beauty is almost enough of a reason to get me nude in front of a bunch of strangers. The naturalist mentality makes insecurities seem silly. Why would anyone be staring at me when they are there for their own self-nurture?

But then you have this lady getting quoted in an article about the bathhouse I may be entering next week talking about people’s folds. You are looking too hard if you are finding folds. I really don’t want anyone thinking how nice my folds are.

The idea came up for my trip to Seattle next week to spend a day at the Olympus Day Spa with my sister and her friend. The spa offers robes for the saunas and steam rooms but nudity prevails in all of the pools. I’ve put a lot of thought into this vacation activity option.

Really, the combination of strangers, siblings and nudity is a weird world to eagerly agree to. I think I could get naked in front of strangers and I think I could be naked in front of my sister. But somehow combining the two weirds me out. I feel like I would be more embarrassed to be embarrassed in front of my sister and that’s just downright embarrassing.

Take sibling nudity. Sure, we’ve changed in front of each other over the years, but when is the last time we just hung out naked? I’m pretty sure we both could fit in the bathtub (which seemed like a swimming pool to us) and we were probably busy decorating our chins with bubble-beards and shaving them off with our index fingers. My other sis said maybe we should get the hard part out of the way. She suggested a Wednesday night pre-nudity pubic hair party. This is not what I am going to Seattle for … a pube party Wednesday and naked fest on Thursday, with my sister no less. Oh boy.

As for the public part. I can do naturalist in nature. Skinny dipping, nude beaches … not a problem. The idea of being in a civilized facility with everyone naked is not the same to me. Do you talk about the weather when you meet naked strangers? What is appropriate nudist conversation?

Think about when you go to hotel. You are all excited about the fact that they have a whirlpool that’s open until 2am. You enter the glass doors, the chlorine hits you first but the second thing that you notice is there are 4 people in the whirlpool. Four people seems a little crowded, no? So you stand there and weigh your options. You could get in the cold deserted swimming pool and pretend that’s what you came down for at midnight. Or you can squish in next to some women and fake relaxation. It’s awkward being close to strangers, partially exposed and trying to publically enjoy the heat, warmth and pressure on your skin. Now take that same moment and take away the partial modesty. WEIRD!

Oh lord, this is a serious thinker. We’ll see if I drop my drawers.

1 comment: