Monday, August 3, 2009

A few hours at the Apostle Islands

7/29

Not what I expected. Pulling into the campground was unlike any other. A woman sat at a picnic table with a locked shed behind her labeled “store” and a pile of chopped firewood beside her. I left the “office” and headed towards my site. By far the most disappointing site I have ever had. Rows of picnic tables file down towards my site. I wonder why I am so far down this empty row. This will be a place for sleeping. Just SLEEPING. I am hoping to do that soundly tonight. Every muscle is begging for rest. Can’t rest. Must push! Rest is not a part of the reason I am here. So…

After setting up camp … I realized that I should maybe invest a little money into this camping thing. That four person dome tent is no picnic for a sole camper. I bet I looked sort of ridiculous. After all that work, all I could think of was getting the hell out of that site.

I headed for Meyer’s Beach around 6pm. The map read there was a lakefront trail head, a good 5 miles out with an identical return. I quickly hit the sand and start down the beach. About a mile out the shore gets washed out. Is this the trail? Sort of bummed, I dick around for a while then head back to my car. The couple picnicking was no longer lakeside. Feeling a bit defeated on my way to my mini, these sad, slightly dumb eyes, noticed the pick up to the actual trail. I wanted desperately to make it out to the sea cave overlook at the very least. Two miles out. Two is not a scary number. Hmmm… that gives me four miles roundtrip with an hour and half of daylight left. Can’t forget the photography minutes in there, oh and the quiet reflection time. Well, I’m here. I have to try.



With each step I was racing the sun and avoiding bears with a whisteling version of the Oscar Meyer Wiener song, my keys jingling at my hip. Every minute I was sure to see a bear beyond every bend in the unkempt path. And each minute ticked by uneventfully, but very sweatily. I made it back before the sunset, got to watch that on the beach. Glad I went, took in some pretty views that my camera is sure to fail at capturing. I can say that Cardiovascular Whistling should be the next health trend.

Tomorrow … hmmm bike Madeline or take my chances on the kayak? Muscles say no, soul says both.

Note to self – frozen burritos that are meant for microwaves aren’t very good over the fire. That’s what I get for finding groceries at a late night gas station. Looking forward to better food tomorrow.

Ummm… the coyotes are howeling all around me. What am I doing out here alone?? Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment