Thursday, August 27, 2009

The personal to the impersonal


I do this for me. Every thought throughout my day is weighed for its literary possibilities. Each impulsive idea within my brain has been called into question – Can this go further? Can this be funny? Is this worthy of exploration?

The other day, I walked into my department wing at work and thought to myself, “It smells like diaper rash cream in here”. That smell association has stuck with me for some reason. What a weird thing to think. How did my brain come up with such a disgusting, specific smell? That’s a nugget of a thought that I felt could go further. There is a dash of comedy there, but more importantly, it’s a good example of the human experience… something my writing is partial to. I love to be surprised by my own random thoughts. The thoughts that pop in your brain and quickly disappear with a giggle and a head shake to clear the space. I may start logging my random thinking. That should make for entertaining writing. But for now… I feel like I better leave the diaper rash out of this.

Writing every day has given me direction and I like exploring my own thinking. The funny thing is … I wonder why in the world people like this journey I take you on every day. This is my brain. I think about cake. I think about music. I think about diaper rash cream apparently. Sometimes I feel like people would pass my writing off as impersonal. Why then, do I get nervous to let readers in? These trivial musings are the things my brain occupies times with.

I will hardly be enlightening you with profundities. You will not travel with me into my deepest, darkest concerns. I doubt I will be enchanting you with character fables. I write the way I approach life… with wide, open eyes and ears eagerly listening for the humor in the mundane.

With that said … I will continue to spill my guts and my guts really do taste like German Chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment