Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Raspberry Update

Remember when I bought a raspberry on May 3 and it looked like this:

?

Well, today, it is May 28 and my raspberry bush is looking pretty bushy. I made my first rhubarb crisp of the season last weekend and I eagerly await the day I can make raspberry/rhubarb crisp. Party at my house... hey...


Lots of brand new shoots have been sprouting from the dirt. Little guys like these...


There are little buds on the tips of each branch that might be the start of the actual berries? But I'm not entirely sure and, I suppose, only time will tell.

This plant is probably the most curious to me. Well, this plant, and maybe the radishes since I can't see what they are doing down there, way underground. Today, Rob pulled one up because the greens are getting pretty tall and they were in the ground for about 4 weeks now. It was a stem and no radish bulb. I think that means we have too much nitrogen in the soil? We are going to try to balance the nutrients in the planter to see if it helps. 

But.. then.. it begs the question... are these plants spent then? Can they still develop a bulb? Do I need to start anew? I have no idea. Most of what I have read on radishes is that 'they simply grow'. No rules or regulations. They are just supposed to work. Mine worked sans bulbs. This is what bulb-less radishes look like.... 





No comments:

Post a Comment