Sunday, June 1, 2014

My Pinterest planter

I started browsing Pinterest for ideas while I dreamed about this year's garden. In some cases, it has been useful and in others ... not so much. 

Starting my seeds in eggshells... Pinterest.

This planter... Pinterest. 


But the jury is still out on this one. What I like about it is it's vertical nature. I'm always trying to grow up and above the heads of the neighboring bunnies. I also like the aesthetic and it seemed a good use of the spare terracotta pots in the garage. What I don't like about it might be a longer list. 

The tilt on the pots make them pretty difficult to water. Water just runs down and out, away from the very plants that need it. With that water run off comes some soil (hence the constant dirt on the sides of the pots). And WITH that soil, comes whatever seeds you were trying to germinate or mature. The heavy rains over the past few days have washed away my mint seedlings. Yet again. I have resown them three times already.

We will see how this concoction does throughout the growing season. My hope is that as the plants mature, their leaves might create an umbrella of protection and prevent the soil from washing out during heavy rains. Watering is possible with patience and a gentle touch. I simply have to remember the Tender Loving Care part with these herbs.

My advice if you try this - don't bother with seed. Start with mature plants. My basil and sage are doing alright at the moment. Maybe not flourishing, but not withering either. 

Tip - this planter also tends to get waterlogged. So pick appropriate plants that don't mind moist soil.



No comments:

Post a Comment