Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Hello hoop house

I've been desperate to get things outside and of course the weather hasn't been cooperating. Granted, it's mid-May, which isn't very dependable and generally too early to put things outside. But I'm doing it anyway.

I built a mini hoop house around my big planter to protect from the elements, hoping to move some things outside and out of my kitchen. I used PVC tubing anchored by some U-shaped brackets that I screwed onto the outside walls. Covered, of course, by plastic, and the 1mil I bought isn't heavy duty enough, but it'll do the job this time. This was a $10 solution to the 'get me the fuck outside' problem. 


I left the kale in there last night to weather the storm, and it seemed a success. Today we (by we I mean... I made Rob) planted our tomato and zucchini. Cross your fingers everybody!!


This gives us the opportunity to pull the tarp back during warm minutes, and protect a little bit against the cold ones. I hope it does the trick, if not, I still have one tomato and one zucchini waiting inside as back up.

Also, those tiny sprouts in the middle are radishes.

I can't wait to start reaping the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment