Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Oh me, oh my

My poor, poor little plants. You nurture them for 6 weeks, fawning day in and day out over them, and then they are slapped in the face by reality. Mother Nature can be pretty heavy handed sometimes.

The zucchini, tomato and marigolds in the large planter weathered most of last week well. But one night (Thursday perhaps?) came a hard frost. A frost that made me nervous enough to throw a fleece over the hoop house. Though they survived the night, they were definitely kissed by the frost. The zucchini shows it the most. My poor plants.

                                             

Saturday was planting day since the forecast predicted a week full of 70 degree weather. It felt like the time. Planted on Saturday and Sunday became a blazing, sun filled scorcher fulfilling the 70 degree promise. While I was away at work, my babies were getting a sunburn. Our efforts hardening off were no match to the sun strengths. All of those days they sat outside weathering were nowhere near as sunny. And sunny Sunday did a number on them. At least, I think it is sunburn? It turns out it's a rather hard thing to confirm online. Even harder to find a remedy to. The leaves on my bean plants and some marigolds look almost metallic; pale silver in color and losing green pigment. My poor, poor plants.


                                                
And then came Monday. A day that I should have been more prepared for - rain. The rain was not a surprise, but the torrential downpours were. My plants were left soaked, droopy and heavy with fluid.  We (and by we I mean Rob) scrambled to move what we could indoors and secured the failing hoop house. My poor, poor, poor plants.


I am hoping for the turn around. Wishing for the perk up. I'm feeling a little bit like a failure and a little bit overpowered by nature. My poor, poor little plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment