Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Morning Nugget

My drive into work was just like any other. Well except that I had to turn the heat on. And I had to stop for gas. And it was 20 minutes later than I usually make the journey. I guess, what I am saying was that my drive into work was different than most mornings.


The usual exit, though, towards work - I climb the hill on the Kellogg exit and am stopped by the light. Sitting there idling, I check the clock. 5 minutes to 9:00am. I better make it to the parking lot before the rates change from bad to atrocious. I know I'll make it. I always do. Waiting at the light a man is guided across the street by the white painted dash lines. He's abiding the crosswalk perimeters but something is funny about this one. What is funny is that he is starring me down with crazy eyes. The 10 feet that it takes to clear my front end he doesn't take his eyes off of me for a second. He even turns as he passes to avoid giving me his back. Walking backwards away from me now.


The 30 seconds it took for him to cross my path, all I could do is stare back and wonder what the hell that guy was thinking. Something crazy, I'm sure. It wasn't the kind of inquisitive look you give if you think you know someone. It surely wasn't the eyes you give to someone you are attracted to. It was the look that says, "What the fuck is happening here?".


It occurred to me as I drove towards my $7/day parking lot that this was the image that crazy eyed man saw:

A figure in a dark hoodie. The hood is pulled up over their head, leaving the face in shadow. Over the sweatshirt is a zipped up, down filled puma vest. The music from the speakers of the vehicle is undoubtedly bleeding into the streets. The driver sits with one arm over the steering wheel, letting their wrist maneuver the car. They sit in a white minivan.


His ass thought I stole my car.


Or he was high and thought I was the smoke monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment