Friday, September 25, 2009

Honestly

A few days ago I was told my writing was honest. Honest and hilarious. Well maybe I am exaggerating the second H. Yeah, I definitely am.
Hmmm… maybe I should push that further and bust myself out a little.
Sure, I’ll do that.


The weekend before last I went on a quest to find a waterfall. (If I could properly format a footnote, I would tell you that I have become such a victim to commercial branding that I accidently spelled quest – qwest. Thank goodness for spell-check … that would have been embarrassing).


On that quest (with a u) I found the Hidden Falls. I had my camera with me. I clicked off a round of photos. When it came to writing about that venture … I had reservations about including the picture of the falls themselves. So I’ll do that now:




 That was my reward for all that work! A trickle from a storm drain! The writing was still honest. I really did leave happier having found it. The water droplets did not bum me out in the least. I kicked the shit out of that waterfall!


But why didn’t I wear my victory proudly and share the image of conquer? Symbolic like Rosenthal’s image of the American flag rising over Iwo Jima. Ok, not like that. Really, not at all like that. Still, something kept me from posting that photo.

I think it was this:

The language and emotion in that entry hung grandiose and triumphant. I couldn’t follow up my emotional merriment with a picture of a dying waterfall. Maybe I thought it looked like a contradiction in my writing. That my words painted a different picture than the reality of the water. I could have thought people would be unimpressed by my quest. I definitely thought the thing just didn’t photograph well.


I post it now to say … fuck all of you. I’m just a simple girl that can find happiness in a storm drain.




Post Script – Carrying on tradition by accident. Sunday while kayaking with my mom, we paddled alongside a man-made falls. I won’t have time for water play this weekend, but may find myself there on Monday. That’s my wet dream at least.

1 comment: