Saturday, October 3, 2009

Table Talk



Sitting at my kitchen table and eating a tasty falafel, I notice the weird collection of stuff that has come to clutter this marble surface. I wondered what it said about me. The breakdown:


Just beyond my tinfoil crumpling and dill drippings lies my first generation iPod. The battery is dead, of course. Old and unimpressive, sad in battery life and unable to store my full library anymore. It’s the most useless frequently used technology I own.


Next to my left elbow is my Leatherman. That was my attempt at getting it back into my purse where it belongs. It only made it this far.


There is a glass of water because there is always a glass of water within arm’s reach.


Next to that glass of water is a fancy small bottle of Acqua Panna. I wonder if I will ever drink that fancy bottle of water. It seems like special occasion water. Don’t ask how it got to my table.


Straight ahead of me there lies the deflated bladder to my CamelBak. My sister hates when I call it a bladder. She probably cringed and crossed her legs when she read that sentence.


Near the window side of this circular table is a healthy African violet that never blooms.


Towering above the violet is a newly obtained Orchid. Its flowers keep opening. I wonder if I can encourage growth.


A half eaten bar of organic, fair trade chocolate waits there, tempting me.

The center of the table carries a bottle of good old fashioned Elmer’s glue. Nothing but the best.


I have a stolen conch shell sitting here too. Yes, stolen. I am practicing my Caribbean calls. Or at least, trying to get to a point where I can respond to my neighbor’s nightly 9:30 tuba practice.


There is a wooden tray from my travels to Belize that has a few Sharpies and Minnesota Opera post-it notes thrown across its dark grain.


My Canon PowerShot rests inside its red leather case. That battery has also been drained with use.


A banana takes up a few inches of space. A banana that I just bought at a restaurant. Yeah, I’m the sucker that buys bananas at restaurants.




That random sampling of objects somehow sums my life up pretty well. It has my hobbies, my lifestyle, my successes and failures, my pleasures and over indulgences, my work and my play. Or maybe I just need to clean house.

No comments:

Post a Comment