Sunday, October 18, 2009

Literal art

Bringing those pieces into work yesterday for scanning purposes made me throw them in the most sensible place ... my art portfolio for transport. Since I had it open and sprawled all over the floor, I started looking through the drawings I did in an art class long, long ago... college. Most assignments show visible signs of disinterest. There are a few where I obviously just made up objects in my head. I flipped pages quickly. Most not worth a minute of my time.

This one made me stop though. I can only assume the homework task we were given. Draw your family tree. Ok, I may have taken that too literally. I remember the fun I had with this piece and all the prep work that I did for it. I kept coming back with another layer. Anyway... Mom, don't be offended by the obvious meaning here. I love the crap out of you and will continue to call you every night whether you want to talk to me or not! But, no matter how much we love our families there are moments in life where your loved ones are supporting & strangling you at the same time.




No comments:

Post a Comment