Saturday, October 10, 2009

8:00am Pie

I successfully talked myself out of every routine minute of my morning.

With a quick turn over between last night's shift and this mornings, I still had every ambition to show up to work - clean, fresh faced, fed and cheerful.

I set my alarm for 7:00am. That gives me 40 minutes of prep time and 20 to get to work by the dreadful Saturday morning hour of 8:00.

The first 5 minutes is slotted for lying in bed. It is important that this activity be done without the snooze button. I hate the snooze button. This is usually an easy time allotment to honor. I can always lie in bed for five more minutes. The reason I failed this one is because I went well beyond my limit.

From 7:05 - 7:20 I am usually falling asleep in the shower and forgetting what step I am on in the body cleansing process. I never get out of the shower until the room is properly steamed and the fingers are sufficiently pruned. I managed to excuse myself from this process all together. Sleep sounded more important than smelling nicely for our board members.

Then there is usually 10 minutes for dress and the rest.

The ten minutes before locking my backdoor is always left for breakfast. Something will be in my belly before I touch that doorknob.

I talked myself out of that one with dreams of the food stocked in the fridge at work. I knew there were fruit and pastries left over from last night's event. That seemed like a time saving idea to eat when I got to work. Or perhaps a fruitful idea (lucrative not grapes, well actually lucrative with grapes) to eat on company time.

Content on giving up my morning routine. When the alarm went off at 7:00, I reset it for 7:40.

I will admit that the extra forty minutes did not equate to forty more winks. Instead, I lay in bed analyzing all the sounds around me.

The woman staying in the efficiency on the other side of my bedroom wall woke up at her usual 6:30. I could tell by the sound of her cutlery clinking in the sink that she was washing her morning cereal bowl and spoon. It gave me comfort that she skipped the shower this morning too.

I could hear the long forgotten sound of ice scrapers against a windshield outside. I thought, "Damn, frost." I came to realize how wrong I was as I made my way down the back steps towards my garage. "Awww, snow" replaced my vulgarity. I love the first snow. I love snow in general. But it is weird to see snow covering the tomato plants that are still bearing fruit. I wish I had my camera on my way into work. There were so many flower beds dusted with a white sprinkle. Their vibrant colors poking out underneth. I didn't end up with photographs. I ended up with a slippery drive, gliding across an entire bridge span and dove tailing on black ice. MN better grow its version of sea legs quickly.

Most of the forty minutes were spent thinking about pumpkin pie. I went for the apple last night and regretted it even before I took a bite. I pictured all three pies, stacked in the fridge. I wondered if I'd settle for a pre-cut piece or if I'd be rationing my own portions. Who am I kidding? I'll be cutting my own slice. I can't wait to eat this pie. I have to sit in a 4 hour meeting now. Not having the chance to indulge in my pie fantasy yet... I will be tortured with the thought of that pumpkin pie in the room next door for far too long.

At least they will be sweet dreams over dry conversation...


No comments:

Post a Comment