Sunday, December 29, 2013

light scoopin' yo


I'm playing with my first Christmas gift tonight. I suppose it wasn't my first gift, instead my first play. But, I guess we opened that board game for a round on Christmas day. So.... ignore that first sentence cause everything about it was false.

I have seen this little do-hicky pop up on photo blogs before, as a result the $20 item has been sitting in my amazon cart for over a year. Thank goodness Christmas came around. List item received. Thanks Bri!

One of the biggest complaints by novices (self included) on any stock camera is the flash. I refuse the flash as much as possible. I accept a little fuzzy and a little yellow over terribly white and horribly washed out. I know, I know, the real solution is to buy an external flash with buttons and dials and swiveling heads (but that's money and added weight to carry around). Professor Kobre's Lightscoop is essentially a small mirrored surface that slides into your DSLR's accessory slot, your pop up flash shoots at the mirror and the slanted mirror redirected the light to bounce off the ceiling. The result is a room filled with light, rather than a face blasted by one. I like simple solutions and this sounded like one. It got my attention.





                               
And here are the unedited results. I left my camera on the same generic setting and this is what I got:

No Flash                                                   Flash w/ Lightscoop                                         Flash, naked


I took these photos from about 8' away. Eight feet and the naked flash still washes away most of the color. My yellow painted walls look snow white. The Lightscoop image may seem a little dull in comparison, but with lines that are crisper than flash-less and more color retention than the naked flash, I think it's a good starting place for edits. Unknowingly I threw in another test and shot towards a glass window pane. The Lightscoop produced minimal flare compared to the naked flash. Nice.

I'm excited to slip this gizmo into my camera case and even more excited to find a face to shoot.

Will report back with people.


No comments:

Post a Comment