Sunday, June 13, 2010

How to cut a mango...

No pun involved in the title. This really is an entry on the best way I have found to cut a mango. Food instruction isn't something usually found in my blog. But a few days ago I promised to give a lesson in mango cutting to a friend and today I just happened to get my knife out and thought it would be a waste of a mango for this promise to go unfulfilled.

To Jamie: How to cut a mango....

The important thing is to leave a little skin on the top and bottom of the mango. Gives you some grabbing points. We all know how slippery these devils can be.



1 - I always work in a bowl rather than a cutting board. First I score along the bottom of the mango. This gives the knife a stopping point when pealing.










2 - I think mangoes are the only time I get out my paring knife. Peal the darn thing!












3 - Notice I still got my non-slip skin spots.













4 - Shave off chunks down to the core. Sometimes this means cutting into and under the top and bottom skin to get all that tangy meat.











5 - The result! Lots of fruit in the bowl and nothing but nut left for the trash.













Note to self: Never try to be a hand model.

No comments:

Post a Comment