Saturday, November 12, 2016

Why I support the I-94 shut down



Flash back to the civil rights era when, in 1965, Martin Luther King, Jr. led the march that famously took over the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama. Taking to the streets or the highways is not a new phenomenon. Protests, even peaceful ones, are not meant to happen quietly in a convenient corner where the message of opposition might be missed all together. Protests exist to be heard, to be seen and to shake up our daily existence. In my mind, a protest isn't doing it's job if it's not a little bit annoying or a little inconvenient.

Just two days ago, on Thursday night, I left work after a nice dinner and noticed police sirens swirling in my periphery. Frequent accidents occur on that corner, so lights coming from that direction are not a surprise to me, nonetheless my head turned round the building's edge. I was met with thousands of peaceful protesters heading right towards me. An anti-Trump march that started on the U of MN west bank was now walking down my Franklin Ave and, what I learned later, preparing to take the on-ramp to Interstate 94.

Rob and I stopped, sharing peace signs and gestures of support with the crowd as they past. It felt good to work for an organization that proudly hangs Black Lives Matter on our storefront as I watched people throw their fists up in solidarity while they passed our windows. We witnessed the togetherness these protesters had. We saw the mourning they were feeling. The group flowed in waves of the spectrum of people hurting from these election results; Hispanics against the wall, and then Muslims against deportation chanting "refugees are welcomed here", and the LGBTQ community scared for their civil rights, and on and on they came. As you can imagine, I-94 came to an abrupt halt that night, leaving many drivers stranded and irate for the inconvenience.

For those that say, this is making me late to work or late to _______. I say, this is minor inconvenience for one night out of your life and annoyance you can and should tolerate. Imagine the number of black men in our country that are frequently pulled over by squads simply for driving while black. Imagine how often they might be late to work.

For those that say, what if an emergency vehicle needs to get through. I say, emergency vehicles are usually only on the highway when the emergency takes place on the highway. Most emergency vehicles stick to the city streets.

For those that say, this is an inconvenience. I say, yes, yes it is. It is an inconvenience to your every day commute. It is supposed to be. It is a reminder that life is full of inconveniences. Imagine the inconvenience that marginalized people experience every day when their daily lives are interrupted by discrimination or harassment.

For those that say, what if those drivers have a home emergency and are now stuck in traffic. I say, this is the risk we take every day we get in our cars. We take the chance of excessive cars on the road or possible collisions in the way every single time we drive. Why does it make a difference if the thing that is stopping traffic is people, rather than an overturned semi?

For those that say, this isn't doing anything for your cause. I say, we are talking about it right now, aren't we? These actions have created a dialogue. These actions have disrupted the status quo. Their voices have been heard and now local and national news are reporting on their efforts. Let's not forget that those very roads were created during urban flight and connect the highest paying jobs to the highest priced suburbs. Not to mention every person sitting in that traffic is privileged enough to own a vehicle. Sounds to me the highway is a perfect place for disruption against the white majority.

I tend to believe that protesting is as much for the protesters as it is for the greater society, just in a different way. Marching pulls together community from the segregated. It joins the silenced voices into a force to be reckoned with. And there you can find comfort in the community around you, love from the people that share your thoughts and a power inside you that often sits quiet.


One last thought as I put this topic to bed. Last summer, Black Lives Matter marched I-94 after the murder Philando Castile. The same thoughts above were heavily discussed in the news and on the web. Even on BLMs facebook page people (mostly white people) questioned this tactic for peaceful protests. As I wrestle with my own white privilege, in the case of BLM, it is not my place to question the tactics of their movement. If I support the cause, I have to trust and support the choices those leaders make. If you have better ideas on how to lead a movement, then find your own cause to lead.

Back on Franklin Avenue, watching the thousands of people pass by, Rob and I stood next to a Somali man who had a tear in his eye and a smile on his face, and I couldn't help but feel a little hope. A little unity. And a little beauty in the world. A welcomed moment over the last few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment